Friday, February 5, 2010

Exhibit, MOA

I really enjoyed the exhibit at the MOA. One of the pieces that really struck me was the picture of the 2 chairs, the one overturned in front of the other, with its striking visual contrast. I thought that picture was absolutely beautiful. I loved all of the symbolism involved.
Another picture that caught my eye was the picture of the discarded shroud. It seemed like an afterthought, almost, something that had just been left behind. However, it spoke of great things that had come to pass. I really liked the concept of that painting.
I also enjoyed the painting of Mary seeing Jesus in the garden after the resurrection. I loved the flowers in that painting. I thought they kind of symbolized the garden well. Mary’s position in the portrait was very telling. She looked so hesitant, like she almost could not believe her eyes. She seemed to be approaching the Savior. Her hands were close to her body, but at the same time, they were reaching away from her. I loved the way she was postured in the painting. I thought it was very beautiful.
Another painting I liked was the little one called “Cat Gift” in which two people seemed to be reverencing a cat. One of them is standing barefoot, and all one can see is his feet. The other is approaching the cat on his hands and knees with a gift. I loved this painting. I thought it was so cute and charming. I don’t know exactly why. Perhaps it was because of the turnaround in the painting. Generally, cats are giving gifts to people. I love the way the people in this painting are giving a gift to a cat. It is very cute.
There was one picture that I absolutely loved. It was a sketch of Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemene being held by an Angel. Jesus looked so sad in this painting, as I am sure He was when He was performing the Atonement. The Angel was comforting and holding Him. I thought this was beautiful. I loved the feeling of comfort that came from the sketch. It was so beautiful.
The painting “Man of Sorrows” was also very beautiful. Christ’s body seemed to be stereotypically perfect. However, His face was lined with sorrow, His eyes gaunt, and He seemed to have the cares of the world on His shoulders. The wood of the cross was another interesting point in this painting. I called the number to hear the reflections from the author. He talked about how the wood, to him, symbolizes the times and seasons and trials of life. It was wonderful. As I sat and listened to this, I was running my hands over the wood of the bench sitting in front of the painting. It made me think about how this bench was similar to something that Jesus may have made as a carpenter. It was a beautiful bench. I would love to have a similar one in my home someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment